All ships need repair work at some point in their working lives. A part of these jobs must be carried out under the supervision of expert marine engineers.
A lot of maintenance is carried out while at sea or in port by ship’s crew. However, many repair and maintenance works can only be carried out while the ship is out of commercial operation, in the dockyard.
Currently, there are many ships that need updating and/or conversions to meet safety and environmental requirements. Ship repair generally includes all ship conversions, overhauls, maintenance programs, major damage repairs, and minor equipment repairs. Ship repair is a very important part of the shipping and shipbuilding industry.
The most famous engine manufacturers, whose engines, are used in ships are (We will get the names of the companies of which they use the engine replace them with below mentioned):
- MAN Diesel & Turbo (Previously B&W engines) – famous for high, medium and slow speed marine engines
- Wartsila (Previously Sulzer Engines) – famous for high, medium and slow speed marine engines
- Mitsubishi – producing engines for light, medium, and heavy-duty applications
- Rolls Royce – famous for the cruise ship and naval ship engines
- Caterpillar manufactures – for medium-speed and high-speed marine diesel engines